Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The energy of color

I've been interested in painting in bright, non-realistic colors lately. The colors that are not saturated bring a sort of energy to the painting. I've been studying some of Maurice de Vlaminck's stuff in this style. Doing a landscape like this sometimes captures an essence that may not be able to be caught in a landscape painted more realistically. A local artist who uses this technique is Brent Sanders. He catches the fun, inviting atmosphere of the area of downtown Chattanooga near the walking bridge. How I feel when I look at his paintings is how I feel when I'm hanging out over there with a bunch of friends enjoying each other and enjoying the view from the bridge. Perhaps that's why I like this style, because it invokes a joyful, life giving feeling.

2 comments:

  1. correction- the colors are *highly saturated not un-saturated as I had said. (I wrote this before I had gotten into my color theory class and learned more about color and terms describing color.) (I used to think saturated meant colors that had been "saturated" with darks or whites to make the color more dull but not I realize I was wrong with that understanding and it is actually the opposite- saturated means bright or the purest form of the color.)

    ReplyDelete